Legal Advice

When a person dies, there also comes the task of notifying not only family and friends, but various legal and business entities.  As a guideline, the following institutions need to be contacted:

  • Insurance companies
  • Credit card companies
  • State Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Banking and financial institutions
  • Stockbroker or financial advisor
  • Social Security Administration
  • If the deceased was a veteran, the Department of Veterans Affairs

When contacting, often the following paperwork will be needed as well:

  • The will
  • Birth certificate and certified copy of death certificate
  • Marriage license
  • Tax returns for the past five years (joint if married)
  • Deceased most recent W-2 forms
  • Record of any  employee-related benefits
  • Insurance policies
  • Real estate-related documents
  • Financial statements
  • Stock certificates or current investment statements 
  • Car titles, registrations, loans, etc.
  • Proof of veteran’s military service (DD214) if applicable